Over the past year, as cryptocurrencies and ICOs started to go mainstream, we have seen a huge surge in regulatory activities. In the US, many different regulatory bodies including SEC, CFTC and FinCEN stepped forward to regulate crypto projects in different ways. Seemingly contradictory statements have added to confusion and fear of a broad crackdown looming.
We were joined by CoinCenter Director of Research Peter Van Valkenburgh to shed clarity on recent developments and understand where things are heading.
Topics discussed in this episode:
- The recent congressional hearings about cryptocurrencies and ICOs
- How the US regulatory environment for cryptocurrencies evolved in the last year
- Whether overly broad and contradictory regulation is emerging in the US
- Understanding the difference between CFTC and SEC
- Why CFTC regulating existing cryptocurrencies and SEC ICOs would be a good outcome
- Why decentralized exchanges will be a likely target by SEC
- The recent letter by FinCEN about ICOs and money transmission
- Comparing US to European regulation and why the US could end up more friendly
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Coin Center Website
- The Bank Secrecy Act, Cryptocurrencies, and New Tokens: What is Known andWhat Remains Ambiguous
- FinCEN raises major licensing problem for ICOs in new letter to Congress.
- Federal Court Adopts CFTC Position on Cryptocurrency Authority
- SEC.gov | Statement on Cryptocurrencies and Initial Coin Offerings
- Gibraltar Plans to Regulate ICO Tokens as Commercial Products
- E182: Peter Van Valkenburgh – Towards Sound Bitcoin Policy
- Donate to Coin Center
- Shapeshift: Buy and sell alt coins instantly and securely without a centralized exchange – http://epicenter.tv/shapeshift
Support the show, consider donating:
- BTC: 1CD83r9EzFinDNWwmRW4ssgCbhsM5bxXwg (https://epicenter.tv/tipbtc)
- BCC: 1M4dvWxjL5N9WniNtatKtxW7RcGV73TQTd (http://epicenter.tv/tipbch)
- ETH: 0x8cdb49ca5103Ce06717C4daBBFD4857183f50935 (https://epicenter.tv/tipeth)
This episode is also available on :
Watch or listen, Epicenter is available wherever you get your podcasts.
Epicenter is hosted by Brian Fabian Crain, Sƒbastien Couture & Meher Roy.