Naming programs are an vital element of any networked info system. It’s troublesome to think about how the Internet may have been adopted by the plenty had it not been for the Domain Name System, which interprets machine-readable IP addresses into human-readable domains. Blockchains, with their lengthy and complicated deal with codecs, endure from an identical downside. One may assume an answer could be to use the identical naming system structure we now have for the general public Internet to public blockchains. But DNS, within the eyes of many, is a largely flawed system. Centrally managed by the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), Internet domains are weak to censorship and boundaries to entry are saved artificially excessive ?'” registering a brand new Top Level Domain (ex: .epicenter) prices a whole lot of 1000’s of .
We’re joined by Alex Van de Sande and Nick Johnson to debate their method to creating an open, safe and decentralized naming system for the Ethereum Network. The Ethereum Naming System (ENS) permits customers to register .eth domains, which can be utilized in supporting Ethereum wallets and shoppers. Names are reserved by inserting a deposit in a sensible contract and may be mapped to any Ethereum addresses. So slightly than sending funds to 0x8cd…0935, one would merely have to kind a memorable title like epicenter.eth into their pockets. Backed by the Ethereum Foundation, ENS will possible turn out to be the defacto commonplace for title registration in Ethereum.
Topics mentioned on this episode:
- Alex and Nick’s respective backgrounds and roles within the Ethereum Foundation
- How the Internet’s Domain Name System works
- The issues and ache factors with DNS and the way it’s ruled at present
- What is ENS and what issues it’s addressing
- The ENS public sale system and the way names are registered
- The completely different events concerned in ENS
- ENS’s technical structure and governing good contract
- The present governance mannequin of ENS and future plans for elevated decentralization of governance
- ENS’s financial mannequin and technical roadmap
Links talked about on this episode:
- Ledger: Smart card safety to your Bitcoins – Get 10% off your first order while you use the code EPICENTER – http://ledgerwallet.com
- Jaxx: Wallets that Unify the Blockchain Experience Across Devices – http://jaxx.io
This episode can also be accessible on :
Watch or pay attention, Epicenter is offered wherever you get your podcasts.
Epicenter is hosted by Brian Fabian Crain, S?ƒbastien Couture & Meher Roy.